Sunday, June 23, 2013

Why not a boxed curriculum?

There are really great curriculum out there that are boxed, all-in-one curriculum.  Some even would work with my Classical inclinations.  Then why not just used one of those??  The short answer is I'm stubborn, and I don't like to make things easy on myself.  I love the flexibility of putting my own things together.  And I love the ability to change course and follow the interests of my kids. 

That said, even though a boxed curriculum isn't for me, there are some really great ones out there for those that do want the structure and the direction.  Having everything in one is a good way to alleviate that fear of missing something.  I'm not the only one that feels that way right?? 

For people that ask me about curriculum that are just getting started, that see the appeal of the classical style, but are overwhelmed by the planning, I tend to point them toward My Father's World.  This curriculum uses some of my favorite resources, such as Story of the World, but lays everything out for the user in clear cut lesson plans.  It is integrative and chronological, both important things I look for in a curriculum.  It also allows for some flexibility to teach multiple ages at a time.  That is something you just have to have if you have a ton of kids.  No one has time to teach 6 different histories...or sciences...I'm overwhelmed just thinking about it. 

For those that aren't necessarily needing the logical, chronological flow of the Classical style, but are interested in real books, and their kids are strong readers and oral listeners, I point them to Sonlight.  I love Sonlight.  I would love to use Sonlight.  But it's not chronological, and I need that.  However, what Sonlight does really well is allow kids to learn through reading.  The curriculum is based off of the literature you read, and it is good lit.  I actually use this site and use a lot of their book suggestions, but in a WTM cycle.  Sonlight also allows for multi-age teaching and gives you step by step directions and lesson plans.

For those that tend toward unit studies, you might want to explore a curriculum like Konos, or even the newer, but very promising Trail Guide to Learning series.

There are so many choices out there that aren't just your typical school-at-home set, but that still give you step by step support if you are looking for it.  If you know of others, please feel free to comment and let me know about them.  I know there are many more.  Some I know about and some I don't.  I am always looking to learn about new resources. 

2 comments:

  1. Any classical, secular suggestions? I have a lot of friends that ask about boxed curriculum and I have no idea where to send them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They aren't classical, but Oak Meadow and Calvert are both all in one and secular. I think if someone wanted classical and secular, there are excellent things out there they could put together to get that, even some very planned, but I don't know of an all in one that is secular and classical. Hmmm let me research this some more.

    ReplyDelete