Thursday, June 20, 2013

3rd grade

3rd grade--This is what 3rd grade typically looks like around here.  I will have a 3rd grader next year again.  By this age, homeschooling usually gets more fun for me.  They are getting the basics down.  Reading is getting better.  They know the routine.  Now my oldest, he was not easier at this age.  But that's another post entirely. 

Math:  Math-U-See

Language:  1st Language Lessons 4 (some will still be on 3)
                   Learning Language Arts Through Literature--we always work a grade level up
                   Vocabulary--I give them a list of 5-10 words each week to look up in the dictionary
                   Journal-I give them a prompt, and they write a page response.  I require this to be in cursive and I use this opportunity to talk about handwriting and refining those skills
                   Writing Stories--I add in a creative writing book and we start working on the concept of plot, and other relevant literary terms
                   Info Please--this is a research book which teaches the basics of how to find information.  That looks different now than it did when I was a kid, but these are still relevant and important skills, although they might involve a computer more than actual books these days.
                   Writing Strands--I have used this in the past, but I am actually looking for a new writing curriculum. 
                   Proofreading Paragraphs--This is an editing curriculum similar to Editor-in-Chief where they edit a paragraph for punctuation.  We do 1 paragraph each week.
                    Spelling Workout

Other:  Geography with Maps, Charts, and Graphs
            Art Smart
            Violin
            French--The Easy French 1 (2nd 1/2)
            some kind of Bible/devotion
          
                  

4 comments:

  1. ok. ready. go-1. why are you looking for something besides writing strands? i was thinking about starting it and wondering what you don't like.
    2.Can you post links for the info please, proofreading, and writing stories stuff when you get a chance?
    3. oh and art smart. I am looking for a new art curriculum.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. My kids don't like it and it isn't easy to plan. It is set up with assignments grouped in strange ways. It is supposed to read as funny, but it just annoys my kids, lol. It does it's job, but I just would love to find something that does it better.
    2. I will work on adding links to those now.
    3. Art Smart is awesome--it isn't heavy on technique, but you learn about art in chronological time periods and then it gives instructions on how to create art in that style. It has a ton of project to choose from also which I like, but it is craftier types of art, and not so much technique. We start technique in 5th grade--see 5th, 6th, 7th, and 8th grades for other art recommendations that are more technique focused.

    ReplyDelete
  3. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you every pick something besides Writing Strands that you love?

    ReplyDelete