Tuesday, June 18, 2013

1st grade

I have had requests to list what I use for each grade, and so that is what I intend to do over the next couple of weeks, as well as to talk more about organizing, curriculum, common issues, etc.  My oldest is going into 10th at the moment, so I haven't taught 11th and 12th to my own child yet, but I do teach that age for other people's kids, and we have made our plans for high school already, so I will give you those lists also as they stand now.

I am skipping kindergarten and preschool for the moment, because we mostly Montessori-it during those years, and I want to write about Montessori more thoroughly.

Also, these grade-specific lists won't contain history, literature, or science because we do those on a WTM cycle and not on a graded cycle.  Look for separate posts about each of those subjects to come.

Math:  We use Math-U-See every year.  I love that it is hands-on, concrete, and focused on the why, not just the how.  I love the emphasis on word problems, and the review.  And I love that it isn't visually distracting to my easily distracted kids.  The biggest bonus is that Math-U-See comes with a DVD that my kids can watch and learn math from someone who loves math (not me!).  They learn the skill of listening to someone other than me teach, and how to take notes and ask questions later.  Most of my 1st graders have done the 2nd half of Math-U-See Foundations in 1st grade, but we are switching to the newer Alpha/Beta sequence this year.  I have some kids that will be in Alpha in 1st and some that will do Beta in 1st. 

Language:  Learning Language Arts Through Literature-Red book--simple and easy, gentle
                  approach into grammar.  This book includes spelling words, but I don't think they are
                  challenging enough, as well as dictation, handwriting, reading comprehension, etc.

                  First Language Lessons 1 or 2 depending on the kid--this is by the author's of the WTM.  I
                  don't love books 1 and 2, but I love books 3 and 4 in this series, but I do 1 and 2 anyway. 
                  I don't love a scripted curriculum.  I use these mostly as reinforcement

                  Spelling Workout for my visual learners, and All about Spelling for those that struggle
                 with spelling

                  Copywork for Little Girls or Copywork for Little Boys--depending on the kid ;)

Other:  Geography with Maps, Charts, and Graphs B
    
            Art with Art Smart (more to come on this resources soon)

            Violin

            Listening Activities

            We also do some kind of Bible/devotion book, but I change that every year and typing games on the computer.

Add in our history/literature and science that we do all together and that's basically what 1st grade looks like around here. 
                 
Before you ask--no, I don't do a formal handwriting curriculum.  I go over handwriting with them specifically on their daily copywork, but also any time I notice a recurring issue, I will bring it to their attention.  And, honestly, if I had more time, I wouldn't use a formal spelling curriculum either.  With my oldest, we just picked out words in the books he was reading or the history he was studying, or any words that seemed to be giving him trouble and we made lists that way.  Spelling is developemental, and kids will pick up good spelling habits as they read and expose themselves to more, so we don't stress about spelling here.  As they get older, I am more likely to point out bad spelling to them, and we work on those problems then. 

No comments:

Post a Comment