Friday, June 21, 2013

4th grade

I have a year off from 4th grade next year, with one just finishing, but this is what 4th grade looks like here.

Math:  You guessed it--Math-U-See
           But in 4th, I also add in a Simply Charlotte Mason math curriculum--because it's fun, and it's good reinforcment, and solid practical skills.  Your Business Math let's the student pick a type of store to run--we have the pet store, but there is also a book store or a sports store.  It walks your student through ordering inventory, filling orders, writing checks, paying bills and taxes, advertising, and calculating profit.  Kids love it.  I love to see them eager to practice their basic math skills.  Win-win

Language:  Learning Language Arts Through Lit
                   Jr Analytical Grammar--I love this curriculum.  It's easy to use and they get the grammar concepts.  I have a short lesson I go over with them once a week, and they have practice pages the rest of the week.  It teaches parsing and diagramming, but in a way that even my most reluctant diagrammer can get it.  And yes, I love diagramming.  I think it takes understanding to another level to have to think not just part of speech, but relationship to the whole sentence.  And it will help Latin learning later on, and vice versa.  I've been very pleased with this curriculum for grammar.  One thing that is very different about it is that it doesn't last the entire year.  The writers have an interesting, yet convincing philosophy on grammar learning, but it is working for us. 
                   Vocab--I give a list they look up in the dictionary
                   Journal--I give a prompt and they write a 1 page, cursive response
                   Writing Stories--creative writing
                   Proofreading Paragraphs
                   Again--I typically use Writing Strands, but we are looking to make changes here

Other:  Geography with Maps, Charts, and Graphs
            Art Smart
            In 4th, we go through the entire level 1 The Easy French
            violin
            Bible/devotion
           


3 comments:

  1. what do you do for science?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do physics in year 4 and that is usually 4th grade. I will send you my chemistry and physics stuff whenever I make it downstairs, lol.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete