Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Phonics

I didn't include any discussion about phonics on my 1st grade page, because I am very child-specific when it comes to reading.  Some of my kids have been fluent readers in 1st.  I have had 1 reading long Harry Potter books in kindergarten.  One was reading American Girl by the middle of the year.  One was just getting through basic readers with fluency.  And one is going into first able to slowly read and sound out basic readers, with no fluency.  And my kindergartener behind her is working on a word level.

I use what works for each kid with phonics.  The first book I ever used was called Teaching your child to read.  It was wonderful for a kinesthetic learner.  You used very active play to teach sounds and games to teach blending.  It was wonderful.  It worked for him.  He was reading Bob readers at 3. 

My very visual learners love Phonics Museum by Veritas Press.  This curriculum is gorgeous.  It uses real artwork from museums as all the illustrations throughout the curriculum.  It is a solid, challenging program.  I don't love the scripting, but I just ignore it and teach it on my own and use the resources and workbook.

My struggling readers tend to go from Phonics Museum to Explode the Code.  This just basic, funny, but not visually distracting reinforcement.  It's easy to use and those of mine that have used it, enjoy it. 

I also use the phonics instruction with Learning Language Arts Through Literature.  The benefit to it is that it's great reinforcement and it is integrated with grammar and the rest of the language arts.  It has been good to boost the skills of my students who are doing better, but not enough for those struggling.

This year, I am thinking about giving All About Reading a try with my 2 English as a second first language speakers.  I think the step by step, very concrete instruction with the letter tiles will be useful for them.  One of mine has a language processing disorder, so the more I can make phonics visually and physically appealling with building words, and less dependent on oral understanding, the better for her.  If you have used All About Reading and loved it/hated it, please share your feedback.

Tons of people use Ordinary Guide to Teaching Reading or Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy lessons, but I have never used either, so I can't give a good review for you.  I have heard they are easy to use.  I am just can't do things normally--ha!

My best advice with phonics curriculum is to know your child's learning style and be flexible.  Teaching a child to read is just not fun.  They will get it.  And be sure to get their eyes checked if you are having never ending struggles!

No comments:

Post a Comment