Tuesday, June 25, 2013

7th grade

7th grade is a big year.  We begin formal logic instruction in 7th, and I also expect my 7th graders to take charge of their own schedule and planning.  I plan out in my 7th grade folder where I expect them to be each week, but I no longer write a workplan for them.  They are required to get the folder out and write out their own plans in a planner.  They can move as fast or as slow as they want over the year, as long as they don't get behind my goals for them in the folder.  They are completely in charge of their schedule and turning in work on time at this point.

I start a formal reading list in middle school taken mostly from the WTM.  For each of the pieces of literature my student reads, he is required to discuss it with me--literary devices and historical context, and also to write a report evaluation.  There are lots of great resources to help you as a teacher through these discussions.  I will write a post on those soon.  I encourage you again to read the WTM and check out the reading list she gives there. 

Math:  Math U See

Language:  We have finished spelling by 7th, and we start on Vocabulary from Classical Roots A and B
                    Editor in Chief
                    Beyond the Book Report by Analytical Grammar people
                    Analytical Grammar season 2
                    Learning Language Arts through literature-green

Logic:  Introductory Logic by Canon Press (they have a dvd set if you prefer for instruction)
            The Thinking Toolbox
            And if you notice your child needs a little extra help for logic, I love the James Madison Critical Thinking course by Critical Thinking Company.  It teaches formal logic, but in a way that is fun and easy.  You basically follow a series of crimes told in story format, and use logic to sort through and solve each.  We used it as supplement to Introductory and Intermediate Logic in 7th and 8th. 

Other:  French from Memoria Press
             Latin--Second Form Latin
             Music-Understanding Music by Tatchell and Understanding Music by Yudkin (and we listen to music from the time period)
             Art--Scultpting this year with Hands on Sculpting and we study art from the time period
             Bible/devotion
            Geography
            Violin
             All about Money/All about Time/All about Talent/Money Matters for Teens

No comments:

Post a Comment