Wednesday, June 19, 2013

2nd grade

Ok, continuing the theme.  2nd grade at my house is much more independent.  In 1st grade, I walk my kids into a routine of looking on their workplan daily, completing work, and returning it to their binders.  Each kid's books are stored on their own shelf, and they learn how to find their books and complete their tasks.  They have freedom to choose the order and the day the work is completed, as long as it is completed by the end of the week.  I will write a whole post on how that works and what that looks like soon.  By 2nd grade, they should have this routine down, and their reading skills are improving so they can complete most work without me. 

Math:  Math-U-See--see 1st grade for my why's--Beta or Gamma

Language:  Learning Language Arts Through Literature
                  1st Language Lessons 2 or 3
                  Spelling Workout
                  And we begin cursive with the I Can Write Cursive series and Pictures in Cursive
                  (See:  What Cursive Does for Your Brain)

Other:  Maps, Charts, and Graphs for Geography
            Art Smart
            Typing games
            Violin
            Listening activities
            Bible/devotion
            We also start formal studies of French in 2nd grade--I will write a post on why French and why young soon.  In 2nd, we use The Easy French and do the 1st half of that curriculum with 1 lesson every 2 weeks.  It includes listening and activities to go along with learning, and uses the immersion method.  More on foreign language in another post. 
           
           

2 comments:

  1. Will you post the order you do the chapters for Story of the world with these posts, if you get a chance? Pretty please.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great idea! I will get to history in the next few days and I will include that order.

    ReplyDelete